Questions to Ask
The Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) suggests some questions to ask before agreeing to participate in a research study:
- How many other people are in the study?
- Will there be any costs for me?
- Will my records be kept private?
- What will happen at the end of the study?
- Will I get a copy of the study results?
- Will I still get paid even if I leave the study early?
- Will there be follow-up?
Why I Believe in Research
This digital story is about Barbara Beckwith, a former research participant and member of the Cancer Institutional Review Board. Barbara, a two-time cancer survivor, was passionate about spreading the word on cancer research to the African American and senior citizen communities. Take a few moments to hear Barbara’s interesting story in her own words.