University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) provides the facilities and support staff for survival surgeries, non-survival surgeries, and technical procedures for all species of research animals.
ULAR Experimental Surgery Services
The ULAR surgical services full time support staff provides expertise and technical support in animal surgery and model development. The ULAR Experimental surgery suite has four operating rooms and associated support areas in addition to standard animal surgical equipment. The service supports research studies and teaching labs for species that are considered USDA regulated. To schedule ULAR large animal surgical services, complete a Surgery Scheduling Request form or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Veterinary anesthesia machines, physiologic monitors, cautery, hot bead sterilizers, scales, and restraint devices
- Imaging, including ultrasound and fluoroscopy
- Minimally-invasive surgical equipment
- Surgical microscopes and rodent surgery supplies
- Technical assistance and consultation for antibody production, venipuncture, anesthesia, breeding, genotyping, etc., for all species of laboratory animals
- Instrument sterilization (steam)
- Assistance with continuing education programs and courses (ATLS, Zollinger Society)
ULAR Technical Services
Technical support to researchers can be provided on a fee-for-service basis. Requests for technical services from ULAR must be received at least 5 business days in advance of the required service to ensure that staff and needed supplies are available. To schedule ULAR technical services, complete the Request for Technical Services form. The Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or clinical veterinarian for your facility can also assist in scheduling ULAR technical services. Supplies will not be provided by ULAR unless specifically requested. ULAR will help you determine what supplies are needed based on the techniques being performed.
If ongoing or intense technical support is required, it may be more cost-effective to hire a dedicated technical support person. OAV veterinarians can be consulted for a list of qualified applicants or help assess the animal handling/technical skills of applicants.
Supplies (when applicable): Charged at cost + 65%
Personnel: Fees will be rounded up to the nearest 15-minute increment and may include travel time. Hourly personnel charges are as follows