Federal funded, sponsored awards are subject to certain federal laws and the guidelines set forth in the Uniform Guidance and adhere to university guidelines on travel and business expenses. Travel must be pre-approved and justified with business purpose description consistent with sponsor regulations. There may be additional sponsor requirements contained in the award terms and conditions.
- 2 CFR Part 200 - Uniform administrative requirements, cost principles, and audit requirements for federal awards
- 2 CFR 200, §200.474 Travel Costs
- Ohio State Travel Policy
Upon notification of approved spend authorization, the Grant Shared Services Center will check:
- for cost allowability
- availability of grant funds
- travel occurs within the period of performance
Air Travel Requirements
- Purchase airfare through the designated travel agency, identify the purchase as Office of Sponsored Programs funded.
- Reservations must be booked as coach or economy fare, unless unavailable at the time of the required travel.
- A memo of explanation is required with any deviation from economy fare.
- Travelers must comply with the Fly America Act requiring travelers to use:
- a U.S. flag air carrier (an airline owned by an American company); or
- a foreign carrier that operates under a U.S. flag air carrier code-sharing agreement and identifies the U.S. flag air carrier’s designator code and flight number.
Business meals constitute an exception to the federal per diem rates. Expenses may be reimbursed for properly documented business meals while on travel status. The primary purpose must be a business discussion:
- At least one non-university employee, whose presence is necessary for the business discussion, must be present.
- Expenses may be incurred only for those individuals who are necessary to the business discussion.
- In addition to an itemized receipt, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules require documentation of the time, date, place, business purpose and attendee names.
Documentation must include an itemized receipt and the completed Business Meals Documentation for Sponsored Projects form with per diem allowance reduced appropriately. Gratuities not exceeding 20% of meal cost for business meals are reimbursable. Alcoholic beverages and entertainment costs may not be charged to a research grant.