Update – 12/16/2016: The NIH has delayed the effective date of the single IRB mandate from May to September 25, 2017.
The Office of Responsible Research Practices (ORRP) is in the process of identifying and implementing changes in local policies and workflow in order to be compliant with the NIH Policy on the Use of a Single Institutional Review Board for Multi-Site Research. Progress thus far includes:
- Ohio State joined the national SMART IRB reliance platform. Fifty institutions across the country have already joined.
- ORRP is updating local policies and submission/review guidelines for requests to cede IRB review and to manage responsibilities if Ohio State is designated as the IRB of record
- Additional ORRP staff and IRB reviewers are being trained to manage the anticipated increase in institutional agreements
- Planned January build-out of Buck-IRB capacity to manage all multi-site IRB tasks for institutional agreements.
The current procedures to submit requests to cede review are as follows:
- Begin a new application in Buck- Select “Create a New Study” and complete the application as requested.
- Select “other external IRB” as the review board. Provide the name of the principal investigator and IRB contact information for the IRB of record for the external institution that will provide review.
- Upload a copy of the IRB approval and/or IRB application form from the external institution as well as the protocol and any other relevant documents.
- If the external IRB has already agreed to be the IRB of record and has provided an authorization agreement, upload it to Buck-IRB under “other files.”
For questions about institutional agreements, please contact Jessica Evans at Evans.firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-9832.