President’s Research Excellence program
“By backing great ideas emanating both from our faculty and from administrative leaders, Ohio State aims to double its sponsored research within this decade.”
President Kristina M. Johnson
State of the University Address
February 18, 2021
The Ohio State University aims to grow its research and innovation enterprise and increase its research eminence among the nation’s and the world’s research universities by attracting more externally sponsored research funding, enabling curiosity-driven research and discoveries, and addressing large, complex societal challenges.
Towards these goals, the President’s Research Excellence (PRE) program provides seed support for cross- and interdisciplinary research that have the potential to attract external funding.
Specifically, the PRE program supports:
- Accelerator proposals for small teams formed to pursue curiosity-driven, novel, high-risk and high-reward research. The grants may be up to $50,000.
- Catalyst proposals for large cross- and interdisciplinary teams to pursue large-scale, high-impact research that addresses emerging or existing challenges of national and international societal importance, generates long-term, sustained, and significant impact, and positions Ohio State as THE leader in this area. These grants may be up to $200,000.
A lead PI for this program must be a faculty member, either tenure/tenure track or research, or a clinical-track faculty member who is engaged in research. PI status at Ohio State is required for all lead PIs. Co-PIs can be faculty, research staff or post-docs from intellectually distinct disciplines.
Please note: Faculty investigators may only serve in the role of PI or Co-PI on a single PRE project proposal during each combined Accelerator and Catalyst funding cycle. If any faculty investigator is named as PI or Co-PI on more than one proposal, only the first proposal submitted, as indicated by the time and date stamp from the submission site, will be reviewed and all other proposals submitted after that will be disqualified.
- March 22, 2021– Call for Accelerator proposals open
- April 19, 2021– Accelerator proposals due, 5 p.m. EST
- June 1, 2021– Accelerator awards announced
The project period for all Accelerator awards is from July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022. A final report is required to be submitted on August 1, 2022.
Read the Accelerator proposal announcement.
The Catalyst timeline includes submission of concept papers, followed by invited full proposals.
- March 22, 2021– Call for Catalyst proposals open
- June 18, 2021– Catalyst concept papers due, 5 p.m. EST
- July 30, 2021– Catalyst concept paper decisions announced, Invitations for full proposals issued
- August 31, 2021– Catalyst invited full proposals due, 5 p.m. EST
- October 15, 2021– Catalyst awards announced
The project period for awarded Catalyst projects is from January 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 if the project period is 18 months or January 1, 2022 – December 31, 2023 if the project period is 24 months. A final report is required to be submitted on July 31, 2023 (18 month projects) and January 31, 2024 (24 month projects).
Read the Catalyst proposal announcement.
If you have any questions about the President’s Research Excellence program, please email us at PRE@OSU.EDU.