Frederick G. Kilgour, University Libraries

Frederick Kilgour (1914-2006), professor emeritus in University Libraries at Ohio State, was the founding director of the Ohio College Library Center. Today, it is known as the Online Computer Library Center and is a global library cooperative supporting thousands of libraries in making information more accessible to people around the world.

In 1967, the Ohio College Association lured Kilgour to Ohio State to develop a shared cataloging system for its members. Kilgour believed that by using computers to create and share catalogue records, the effort could achieve great efficiencies and economies. Working originally out of an office in Thompson Library, the system he helped develop became known as WorldCat, which today itemizes the collections of thousands of library members in more than 100 countries.

The Ohio College Library Center officially opened in 1971 and six years later expanded its services to other states and countries. As it grew, the center eventually moved from Ohio State to its current home in Dublin, Ohio.

In 1980, Ohio State awarded Kilgour an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree. He was also honored by numerous professional associations for his contributions to librarianship, including the American Society for Information Science and Technology and the American Library Association