The Distinguished Scholar Award, established in 1978, recognizes exceptional scholarly accomplishments by senior professors who have compiled a substantial body of research, as well as younger faculty members who have demonstrated great scholarly potential. The 2018 honorees are:
- Jane Hathaway, professor, Department of History, College of Arts and Sciences
- William Berry Lyons, professor, School of Earth Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences
- Kevin Passino, professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering
- Phillip Popovich, professor and Ray W. Poppleton Designated Research Chair, Department of Neuroscience, College of Medicine
- Ponnuswamy Sadayappan, professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering
- Krzysztof Stanek, professor, Department of Astronomy, College of Arts and Sciences
Recipients are nominated by their departments and chosen by a committee of senior faculty, including past award recipients. Distinguished Scholars receive an honorarium and a research grant to be used over the next three years. The award is supported by the Office of Research.