Principal Investigator Status

Principal Investigator (PI) Status Appointments

A principal investigator (PI) is an individual designated by the university as having the appropriate level of authority and responsibility for the proper conduct of research.

When Ohio State University submits proposals and accepts awards for extramurally funded sponsored projects, the university assumes significant financial and legal obligations. Although sponsors fund projects based on the professional expertise of the PI submitting proposals, the formal award is made to the university. Under the general oversight and authority of the university, the PI of a sponsored project bears primary responsibility for the ethical conduct of research, fiscal stewardship of sponsor funds and for compliance with federal regulations, applicable state and local law and university policies.

Contact: or call (614) 247-4764.