Principal Investigator Status Appointments
Principal Investigator (PI) status is granted using the following guidelines:
PI status is automatically granted for individuals holding the following titles, provided the individual is a salaried, regular faculty member having at least a 50 percent appointment.
- professor, associate professor, assistant professor, instructor
- research professor, research associate professor, research assistant professor
- professor, associate professor or assistant professor of (clinical discipline)
Persons holding the following university non-academic titles may request and be granted principal investigator status for projects directly related to the mission and responsibility of their office:
- director, associate director, assistant director
Persons holding the titles listed below are not eligible for PI status, unless a formal request is made in writing and an exception granted by the University Senior Associate Vice President for Research. Persons holding these titles may be granted co-principal investigator status, which requires a regular faculty member to serve as PI and to assume responsibility for the project.
- emeritus professor
- clinical professor, clinical associate professor, clinical assistant professor
- professor – practice, associate professor – practice, assistant professor – practice
- adjunct professor, adjunct associate professor, adjunct assistant professor, adjunct instructor
- visiting professor, visiting associate professor, visiting assistant professor, visiting lecturer
- senior research associate, research associate, research assistant
- research scientist (unless permission was granted in initial appointment letter)
- postdoctoral researchers or doctoral students
Procedure to Request PI Status
- A letter requesting PI status must be written (on department letterhead) by a candidate’s dean, chair or director
- The individual’s CV must accompany the request letter
- Submit the request letter and CV to the associate dean for research of the candidate’s college for approval. (All requests in the College of Arts and Sciences should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and copy email@example.com)
- The college associate dean for research will forward their approval and all documentation to the Office of Research for final approval
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 247-4764 with questions.